Pull along toys are a classic staple in the toy box, offering more than just the delight of a companion on a string. Selecting the best pull along toys for your little ones is about striking a balance between playful appeal and developmental benefits.
These whimsical toys come in various shapes, sizes, and designs, each with its unique charm and learning opportunities.
Drawing from my expertise in child development and toys, I’ve towed together a comprehensive guide spotlighting the best pull along toys in the market. This guide aims to walk you through the options, leading you to a pull along toy that resonates with your child’s interests while nurturing their motor skills, balance, and coordination.
Let’s trot through this selection together, pulling in the perfect toy that promises to be a delightful companion for your young one as they explore their world.
Best Pull Along Toys
- Safety Score: 4.5/5 The toy is made with organic, water-based coloring and formaldehyde-free glue, ensuring it is safe for toddlers. However, as with any toy with a pull string, there is a slight risk of entanglement, hence the score is not a full 5.
- Educational Value Score: 4/5 This toy is designed to help develop fine motor skills, coordination, and imagination in toddlers. It does not have an explicit educational content, but it supports overall developmental milestones and is the best engaging toy, great for younger kids.
- Durability Score: 5/5 The toy is sustainably produced with rubberwood, indicating a sturdy construction. Customer reviews suggest that it withstands rough play and is durable over time.
- Safety Score: 4/5 The wooden push toy is made with non-toxic water-based paint, which is great for safety. However, there are concerns from customers about the size of the eggs being a potential choking hazard, which affects the safety score.
- Educational Value Score: 4/5 This toy encourages number learning and promotes individual visual learning on the wooden animals, which can help toddlers understand counting as they play. It’s also designed to develop fine motor skills and hand-eye coordination.
- Durability Score: 4/5 While the toy is designed for adventure and seems to be durable enough for typical play, there have been customer reports of the axles breaking within a few days of use, which raises concerns about its long-term durability.
Safety: 4/5 The Janod Tropik Tropical Pull-Along Train is made from beech wood sourced from sustainably managed forests and finished with water-based paint, indicating a focus on safety and non-toxic materials.
Educational Value: 4/5 This toy is designed to develop fine motor skills, hand-eye coordination, and stimulate imagination, making it highly educational for young children.
Durability: 4/5 Constructed from durable wood and designed to withstand the usual playtime wear and tear, this toy is built to last, though wooden toys may show wear over time more than some modern materials.
Safety: 4.5/5 The Fisher-Price Lil’ Snoopy toy is a well-established brand known for its safety standards. This toy is designed with no small parts to swallow and no batteries, making it a safe option for toddlers.
Educational Value: 3.5/5 This toy encourages toddlers to walk and pull the toy along, which can help develop gross motor skills. The sounds and movements of the toy also provide sensory feedback that is beneficial for cognitive development.
Durability: 4/5 While Fisher-Price toys are generally known for their durability, some reviews suggest that the toy could be improved with a longer leash and a handle for easier grip. However, it is still considered sturdy and long-lasting.
Safety: 5/5 The anti-rollover design and rubber-rimmed wheels suggest a high level of safety, ensuring the toy is stable and less likely to cause injury or damage.
Educational Value: 3.5/5 This toy is praised for its educational aspect, teaching children about the frog life cycle in an engaging way. It’s suitable for children 12 months and up, making it a valuable tool for early learning.
Durability: 3.5/5 The toy is described as sturdy and well-built, with vibrant colors. However, there are some concerns about parts flipping over, which could indicate potential wear over time or design flaws that might affect long-term durability.
Buying Guide For Best Pull Toys for Toddlers
When it comes to selecting the perfect pull toy for your toddler, there are several key factors to consider to ensure that the toy not only provides hours of entertainment but also contributes to your child’s developmental milestones. Here is a comprehensive buying guide to help you navigate the choices:
1. Age Appropriateness and Developmental Stage:
- Ensure the toy is suitable for your child’s age group and complements their current developmental stage. Pull toys are generally aimed at toddlers who are just learning to walk, typically around one year old and up.
2. Safety Features:
- Opt for pull toys made from non-toxic materials, with a sturdy and stable design to prevent tipping over.
- Check for a pull cord that is a safe length to avoid any risk of entanglement.
- Smooth edges and large parts are critical to prevent scratches and eliminate choking hazards.
- Look for a toy that can survive the enthusiastic play of a toddler. Toys made from robust materials such as solid wood or high-quality plastics are often a good choice.
- Examine the construction quality; toys with screws or bolts should have them well-fastened and out of reach from curious fingers.
4. Educational Value:
- Consider pull toys that incorporate elements of learning, like shapes, colors, numbers, or alphabets to foster cognitive development.
- Toys that have moving parts or require some form of interaction other than just pulling can enhance fine motor skills and hand-eye coordination.
5. Design and Visual Appeal:
- A pull toy that features bright colors, friendly characters, or engaging features can captivate your child’s attention and stimulate their imagination.
- The design should be inviting and fun, making the child want to play and interact with the toy regularly.
6. Portability and Storage:
- The pull toy should be lightweight enough for a toddler to pull without strain and compact enough to easily carry to different locations.
- Consider toys that are easy to clean and store, ideally with no loose parts that can get lost.
By following these guidelines, you’ll be equipped to choose a pull toy that is not only enjoyable for your child but also supports their growth and learning in a safe and durable form. Remember, the best pull toy is one that aligns with your child’s interests and your own values in terms of educational content and design quality.
What is a pull toy?
Pull toys are simple toys. Children love playing them because they’re easy to play yet offer endless fun and entertainment. They can bring them along as they navigate and explore their surroundings. These toys are designed to encourage exploration and movement which is why they are good toys for children who are learning how to walk.
From the name itself, a pull along toy is designed to be pulled along the ground and it has wheels. It has either a string or handle that a child can use to pull the toy. Some pull alongs have moving parts while others make sounds as they are pulled.