Identifying a fake Ergo baby carrier is crucial for ensuring the safety and comfort of your child. With the rise in counterfeit products, it’s important for parents to be aware of the key differences between a genuine Ergo carrier and a knockoff.
This article will guide you through the process of spotting a fake Ergo carrier. We’ll discuss the telltale signs to look out for, including discrepancies in the fabric quality, stitching, buckles, and labels. We’ll also touch on the importance of purchasing from authorized retailers and the potential safety risks associated with using counterfeit products.
By being informed about these indicators, you can make sure that you are buying a genuine, safe, and reliable product for carrying your baby.
Key Takeaways: Identifying a Fake Ergobaby Carrier
- Examine the Ergobaby logo and labels. Authentic Ergobaby carriers have clear, high-quality logos and labels. Check for any misspellings or poor printing quality.
- Inspect the stitching and fabric quality. Genuine Ergobaby carriers have strong, even stitching and high-quality fabric. Irregular stitching and cheap fabric are signs of a counterfeit.
- Check the buckles and fastenings. Authentic Ergobaby carriers feature sturdy, well-made buckles. Counterfeit versions may have flimsy or easily breakable buckles.
- Compare the product to official Ergobaby images. Look at the carrier’s design and features on the official Ergobaby website and compare them with the product in question.
- Verify the serial number. Authentic Ergobaby carriers have a serial number that can be verified on the Ergobaby website.
- Be cautious of extremely low prices. If the price seems too good to be true, it likely indicates a counterfeit product.
- Purchase from authorized retailers. Buying from reputable, authorized stores reduces the risk of encountering a fake carrier.
- Consider the packaging. Authentic Ergobaby products come in professional packaging, while counterfeit items often have poor quality packaging.
- Feel the weight of the carrier. Genuine Ergobaby carriers have a certain heft due to quality materials, whereas counterfeit ones may feel lighter.
- Look for safety certifications. Check for safety labels and certifications that are usually present on genuine Ergobaby carriers.
Sadly, Ergobaby carriers are faked, a lot. They have been for years (we have been selling them for 18 years now and I can’t actually remember a time when they weren’t being faked).
In the early days, it was really really really easy to spot a fake ergo. The typos on the box, the packaging, the instructions, and the labels made them a dead giveaway. Also, they were only on eBay or really dodgy websites with Ergo somewhere in the title.
What they used to do was just mass copy the ergo website and put it on a new domain. Many people fell for this sadly.
These days counterfeiters are a lot smarter and you never know who you are buying from. Especially on open marketplaces like Amazon. The problem with all products on Amazon is that they blend stock.
So whilst Ergobaby might send genuine stock in, sellers from anywhere can also list on that item and send in stock, and Amazon blends it all together. This makes it impossible to know if you are buying any genuine item on Amazon (that’s a story for another blog post..).
So how do we tell a fake Ergobaby?
- Authorized retailers on their own sites will always have genuine Ergobaby.
- Like here at Baba Me, we have been selling Ergobabys since about 2004, so you know when you buy from us, you are purchasing purchasing genuine ergobaby products! You can confirm a real retailer with Ergobaby.
- Look at the price. If it’s significantly cheaper than retail, it’s not because you have found a bargain!
- If buying 2nd hand, always ask to see an original receipt.
- Look at the seams and stitching, poor copies will be easy to spot.
- Labeling, look for spelling mistakes or even if it’s just in one language on websites advertising ergobaby products. A real carrier will have multiple languages on the label and on authentic ergobaby carrier there will be no mistakes.
- Quality, if it feels cheap and flimsy. You will know straight away once it arrives, but sadly this may be too late, so go back to the first point and always buy from a genuine registered seller which does not blend stock with other retailers to ensure the highest quality ergobaby products.
- If buying online, buy from the UK or Irish-based website. Look for addresses and terms and conditions on their site or ask ergobaby customer service for a list of genuine retailers websites.
- Go to known baby websites, doing a google search for cheap ergo baby may not be the best idea as you are pretty much bound to get counterfeit carriers!
Does it matter if the Ergobaby fake?
Yes, sadly it does matter if your ergo is fake. Unlike fake fashion, fake baby carriers can be lethal. If a fake buckle breaks (common on counterfeit ergobaby carriers), with your baby inside the carrier… I dread to think of the injuries that may result. Also, their material tends to fall apart at the seams so it’s vital to purchase authentic ergobaby products.
Honestly, whilst I may not bat an eyelid at your fake Gucci glasses, I implore you to never buy a fake piece of baby equipment.
I would rather help you find a more budget-friendly real carrier that suits you are your baby, than have you buy a fake!
FAQS on Purchasing genuine ergobaby products
Is Amazon an Authorized Ergobaby Seller?
Yes, Amazon is an authorized seller of Ergobaby products. However, it’s important to purchase from the official Ergobaby store on Amazon or from a listing that is clearly marked as sold by Ergobaby. This ensures authenticity and eligibility for warranties. There are third-party sellers on Amazon, and buying from them might not guarantee the same level of authenticity or warranty coverage.
Where are Ergo Products Made?
Ergobaby carriers and products are designed in the United States and manufactured in various locations, including Vietnam and India. The company focuses on ethical manufacturing practices and ensures that its products are made under safe and fair working conditions.
What Country is Ergobaby From?
Ergobaby is from the United States. The company was founded in Maui, Hawaii, in 2002, and is headquartered in Los Angeles, California. Ergobaby has since become a well-known brand globally, recognized for its ergonomic baby carriers and products.
How Do You Wear an Original Ergobaby?
Wearing an Original Ergobaby carrier involves a few steps for a safe and comfortable experience:
- Adjust the Waist Belt: Fasten the waist belt around your hips and adjust it to fit snugly. The padded part should be centered on your back.
- Position the Carrier: Lift the carrier up and over your waist belt, ensuring it’s centered.
- Secure the Straps: Put on the shoulder straps like a backpack. Adjust them so they’re snug but comfortable.
- Place Your Baby in the Carrier: Pick up your baby and hold them against your chest. Gently place their legs through the leg openings of the carrier.
- Adjust the Baby’s Position: Make sure your baby is seated in the natural “M” position, with their knees higher than their bottom.
- Fasten the Chest Strap: Reach behind your neck and fasten the chest/back strap. Adjust it up or down to a comfortable position that securely holds the shoulder straps in place.
- Final Adjustments: Ensure the baby’s back is straight and supported, and they are close enough to kiss. Adjust the straps as needed for comfort and security.
Remember to always follow the manufacturer’s guidelines and safety instructions when using the carrier. The Original Ergobaby carrier can be used in multiple positions, including front-inward, hip, and back carry, depending on the age and development of the baby.