As a mom with over 20 years of experience helping families choose the best toys for their young babies, I’ve learned a thing or two about what makes a great developmental toy. And when it comes to stacking rings, there’s no better option.
It can be overwhelming with so many options out there, but don’t worry – we’ve got you covered. We’ll provide expert knowledge and recommendations on the top stacking ring toys, as well as the different benefits of using stacking toys and the age range they are suitable for.
But that’s not all – we’ll also share some tips on how to get the most out of these toys with your little one. Whether you’re a first-time parent or a seasoned pro, there’s something for everyone in this article.
So let’s get started on boosting your baby’s development with the best stacking rings toy!
Best Overall Stacking Ring Toy
Move2Play Turtle Stacking Toy is a classic and adorable baby toy that is perfect for children aged 6+ months. With bright colors, a rattle ring, and a rocking base, this sensory toy is sure to become a favorite of your baby boy or girl. The stackers included in this toy help teach grasping, stacking, and hand-eye coordination, making it a great learning toy for 1+ year olds. This toy is made of all non-toxic materials and is BPA and phthalate-free, ensuring that your young baby stays safe while having fun.
- Rattle ring and rocking base add to the sensory experience of the toy
- Teaches grasping, stacking, and hand-eye coordination, making a fantastic learning toy
- Made of all non-toxic materials, including being BPA and phthalate-free
- Makes for a great gift for babies
- Small in size
- Can collapse easily
Best Stacking Rings for Learning
The Fisher-Price Rock-a-Stack toy is a classic and beloved toy that provides endless fun and developmental benefits for babies. With five colorful rings for babies to grasp, shake, and stack, as well as a shiny, reflective surface on the top ring with rattle beads inside, this toy stimulates your baby’s senses and helps them develop their fine and gross motor skills. The bat-at rocker base adds an element of wobbly play that is sure to keep your little one entertained.
- Enhancing your baby’s curiosity and sense of discovery as they explore and play with the toy
- Helping your baby understand the concept of relative size as they stack the rings from biggest to smallest
- Five colorful rings for babies to grasp, shake, and stack
- Suitable for babies ages 6 months and older
- The toy may become less engaging for older babies or toddlers who have outgrown the stacking aspect of the toy.
- The toy may not hold up well over time, with the rings breaking or the base becoming wobbly.
- The toy may be too small for some children, making it difficult for them to grasp and stack the rings effectively.
Best Stacking Cups for Baths
The First Years Stack N Count Cups are a classic and colorful toy that helps children develop their counting and number recognition skills. These eight brightly colored cups are designed to stack together and have large numbers on the bottom to practice counting. The cups also have unique holes in the bottom for water play, providing endless entertainment for children. These toy cups are made without BPA and are safe for children to use.
- Brightly colored cups that are fun for children to play with
- Large numbers on the bottom to practice counting and number recognition
- Numbered holes in the bottom ideal for water play
- Safe for children to use, being made without BPA
- Limited play value for older children who may outgrow the stacking aspect of the toy
Best Sensory Stacking Toys for Younger Babies
The Stacks of Circles Stacking Ring toy is a great way to encourage early STEM learning in your child. The center of each ring is the same size, allowing it to be stacked in any direction and eliminating frustration. The rings feature different textures, weights, and numbers, providing a variety of sensory and learning opportunities for your child. The chunky rings are easy for babies to grasp, strengthening their fine motor skills, while the straight post helps to develop hand-eye coordination. This 9 piece set is BPA free and recommended for children 6 to 24 months old.
- Promotes early STEM learning through sorting, size, sequencing, and building
- Chunky rings are easy for babies to grasp and strengthen fine motor skills
- Straight post helps to develop hand-eye coordination
- Lots of different textures so great for sensory development
- Cannot be put into a sterlizer
- The clear ring has holes in so may be difficult to fully clean and dry
Best Wooden Stacking Rings Toy
The Melissa & Doug Geometric Stacker is the perfect educational toy for toddlers to learn about shapes, colors, and sizes. This set features 21 colorful wooden pieces in the form of rings, octagons, and rectangles that can be stacked on three rods or placed on a flat surface for endless play possibilities.
- Promotes early STEM learning: This toy helps children learn about size, shape, and color differentiation, as well as basic concepts like sorting and sequencing.
- Encourages creativity and imagination: With so many different pieces to mix and match, kids can let their creativity shine as they build and stack in new and unique ways.
- Develops hand-eye coordination: The act of stacking and matching the pieces helps children improve their hand-eye coordination and fine motor skills.
- Safe and durable: This toy is made from child-safe materials and is designed to withstand the rigors of playtime.
- Paint can peel or chip over time
- Wood is ieces are prone to breaking if not handled gently
- Wood can warp if it gets wet
Best Soft Stacking Rings Toy
The Stacking Rings Soft Toy is a must-have for any parent looking to stimulate their child’s development and creativity. This 8-piece set includes soft, food-grade silicone stacking rings that are perfect for young children to squeeze, stack, and explore. The different textures and colors of the rings make them visually engaging and provide a great opportunity for babies to develop their fine motor skills and tactile exploration. The rings can also be used as teething toys, making them a versatile addition to any toy collection.
- Large sizes and colorful design catch babies’ attention and help develop fine motor skills
- Can be used as both a sensory toy and a teething toy
- Surface features like letters, shapes, and numbers encourage tactile exploration and learning
- Soft and durable silicone material is safe for babies to play with and chew on
- Rings losing their shape after extended use
Best Stacking Rings Gift Set
he Montessori Baby Gift Set is a perfect choice for parents looking to provide their 6 month and up infants with a fun and educational toy. With 24 individual pieces including 12 colored blocks, 6 soft stacking rings, 5 squeeze and sensory toy balls, and a storage bag, this set is perfect for boys and girls aged 1-2 years old. The toys are made from high-quality, super durable materials and are safe for infants to chew on as they are BPA free and non-toxic.
- Develops fine motor skills and hand-eye coordination through stacking and squeezing the soft toys
- Helps infants learn about colors, shapes, textures, and counting through play
- Encourages cognitive development and problem-solving skills through exploration and interaction with the toys
- Safe for teething infants with their soft, BPA free, non-toxic material
- The interlocking feature of the blocks may be difficult for infants to use as it involves matching complicated shapes
What are the benefits of stacking toys?
We’ve done a very detailed post on why are stacking cups good for babies but in summary:
Stacking toys can help children develop their fine motor skills by requiring them to manipulate small objects with precision.
Stacking toys can also help children improve their hand-eye coordination by requiring them to visually track the objects they are stacking and place them in the correct position.
Stacking toys can encourage children to think critically and problem-solve as they try to figure out how to stack the objects in the correct order.
Creativity and imagination
Stacking toys can also provide an opportunity for children to use their creativity and imagination as they play and explore different stacking configurations.
Stacking toys can help children develop an understanding of size, shape, and spatial relationships, which is an important precursor to math and science skills.
What age can babies do stacking rings?
We’ve done a detailed guide to the age babies can do stacking rings toy here, however they are generally suitable for babies who are around 6 to 9 months old.
At this age, babies are typically able to sit up independently and have started to develop their fine motor skills. Stacking rings can help improve hand-eye coordination and teach size recognition.
Are stacking rings good for babies?
Again, we have a detailed article on the benefits of stacking rings toys for babies here, but generally, baby stacking toys can help improve hand-eye coordination and teach size recognition.
Like all baby toys, ensure your stacking toy is age and skill appropriate. The best stacking toys are the ones which are BPA free and have a mixture of textures, shapes and colours.
What makes stacking ring toys great toys for babies and toddlers is that these toys assist them in a variety of ways.
Playing with these toys help little kids learn about colour and shape recognition. As they learn how to stack their toys on top of each other, they improve their dexterity, fine motor skills and hand-eye coordination.
Are Stacking rings Montessori?
Stacking rings or nesting cups can be considered a Montessori toy, as they align with the principles of the Montessori method of education. The Montessori method (is Montessori all good?) focuses on fostering independence and developing a child’s natural curiosity and sense of order.
Stacking toys can help a child’s development by helping them to learn about size and shape, and can also help improve hand-eye coordination and fine motor skills.
In a Montessori classroom, stacking rings may be used as part of a lesson on size and order, or they may be available for children to play with during free exploration time. They may also be used as part of a lesson on colors, as some stacking rings come in different colors that can be matched or sorted.
What are nesting toys?
Nesting toys are a type of toy that are designed to fit inside one another, like Russian dolls or nesting dolls. They are typically made up of a series of progressively smaller dolls or containers that can be stacked inside one another.
Nesting toys are often used as educational toys, as they can help children learn about size, shape, and spatial relationships.
They can also be used for imaginative play and as a way for children to develop fine motor skills by manipulating the dolls to fit them inside one ano