Reusable cotton rounds or reusable makeup remover pads are a great way to reduce your environmental footprint. They’re made from 100% cotton and can be reused many times! Plus, reusable makeup remover pads are machine washable and reusable for years.
You’ll save money in the long run with these pads because you won’t need to buy new ones every week or month.
Why You Should Use Reusable Makeup Pads
They may be part of our daily lives, and great at helping us take off our makeup at the end of the day, but environmentally speaking cotton wool pads are bad news. Luckily reusable cotton pads offer a practical and affordable alternative that is infinitely better for the planet.
Not only do the cotton pads themselves end up in landfill (they can’t be recycled) but the packaging they come in has to be disposed of as well. And although cotton pads may be made of cotton, unless they are organic there will still have been plenty of pesticides and vast quantities of water used to grow the cotton and additional chemicals used while making the pads.
Reusable makeup wipes are:
- A great alternative to cotton wool balls, cotton pads, and makeup wipes.
- Easy to use, you just have to wash them with your usual laundry.
- A great step towards zero-waste living for you and your family.
- A great way to save money as well as the environment over time despite costing more when you make the initial purchase.
- Easy to make, providing you have a sewing machine, and easy to buy if not.
Making the Switch to Reusable Face Pads
As with any change you make, especially when switching to eco-friendly alternatives, the transition will be easiest if you have all the facts.
You will need to think about how many reusable cotton pads you will need. You can decide this based on the number of pads you use a day and how often you use the washing machine. So if you use 4 pads a day and wash roughly every 3 days you’ll want to start with 12-16 pads. If you wash daily and only use two a day then a 4-6 might be plenty.
And it’s not just the pads you’ll need. You will also want a little wet bag if you aren’t going to be washing them every day and a mesh bag to protect them in the machine.
Finally, you should think about the material of the pads and if you would prefer a super soft Minky or jersey fabric, a gentle microfibre or a more exfoliating terry. Many pads will have a different texture on each side which is perfect if you prefer smooth and gentle for your delicate eye area and a little more exfoliation for the rest of your face.
Can you use reusable cotton pads for nail polish?
If you don’t just use your cotton pads for makeup but use them to take off your nail polish as well then you’ll probably be wondering if a reusable alternative will work.
Our advice is to have one reusable wipe that you keep for this purpose, and ideally, one that is a darker colour as the nail polish will stain the pad.
Potential disadvantages of reusable makeup wipes
One obvious disadvantage is that you have to clean them and that certain makeup stains can be hard to get out of. You need to make sure you have enough to last you between washes, and you need to make sure you wash them fairly frequently to make sure they don’t go funky.
Another potential disadvantage is the cost. Although they will save you money over time the initial outlay is much more than a packet of single-use cotton pads which can make it hard for those with a limited disposable income to make the switch.
Reusable Cotton Rounds
Disposable makeup pads are a major contributor to environmental pollution. They take hundreds of years to break down and when they do, the broken pieces still pollute our waterways and environment around us!
We should start paying attention to the products and things we use daily and make changes when applicable. There are a lot of more eco-friendly choices available.
There are many reasons to ditch the plastic and buy cotton pads instead. Reusable products are a great way to reduce the amount of waste you produce and make it easier to live more sustainably.
And after using them for a couple of days, you’ll never go back to using disposables and continue using them instead. They have the added benefit of being vegan-friendly and cruelty-free.
As part of our daily routine, we are used to using cotton balls or rounds to remove our makeup or clean our faces. Usually these cotton balls come in plastic packaging which ends up in landfills and oceans, which not only threatens the existence of marine life but ours as well.
Not to mention that it takes tens of thousands of liters of water to produce just one kilogram of cotton. So making the switch to reusable cotton rounds and reusable makeup remover pads is a smarter and greener move.
Why reusable instead of disposable?
Using reusable makeup remover pads offers many benefits. For one, it’s economical. Initially single use cotton rounds are more convenient to buy but it’s not good for our planet. Reusable cotton rounds will last you for a year.
Not only will you save the planet by reducing your plastic waste through using reusable cotton rounds but you will be saving money in the long term, too. And most of these washable make up rounds come in minimal packaging like a recycled cardboard.
And no matter how many times you wash and reuse these make up pads, reusable makeup remover pads will retain their shape. Some of these make up pads are even handmade.
Two of the most common materials used to make reusable makeup pads are cotton and bamboo. These materials are biodegradable which means they disintegrate or break down naturally without leaving any harmful chemicals on our planet Earth. This also means any kind of irritation is less likely to occur!
Most makeup remover pads are made with plastic derived fibres and so do not biodegrade. Cotton uses many precious resources to grow and so while cotton rounds are biodegradable it is a much better use of these resources to opt for washable cotton make up remover.
These washable make up remover pads are easy to use, too. Generally, reusable makeup remover pads are in a perfect size for taking off makeup, gently exfoliating and easy to clean in the washing machine.
Reusable cotton rounds are ideal for cutting down on unnecessary waste and can replace disposable cotton balls or disposable cotton wool pads. And while make-up remover pads are crucial to any beauty routine. You can never be too careful about what goes on your face, especially if you have sensitive skin or want a flawless complexion!
Use these organic makeup rounds on your face to tone, cleanse and remove makeup and dirt at the end of the day as well as applying toner, cleansing balm, etc.
Reusable makeup remover pads are eco-friendly and chemical-free. And you can expect that they’ll work just as good as disposables, if not better.
Buy reusable makeup remover pads for yourself or for a family or friend. They will definitely love them! We also have a starter set to get you started.
Some other products on our store also use these materials like the reusable breast pads which is also going to save you a lot of money.
Tips, Care Instructions and Additional Information
- Make sure your eco friendly make up pads are dry naturally before you place them in your storage bag.
- Simply wash your reusable makeup remover pads by hand or using your laundry washing machine with gentle soap or detergent, rinse them and let them dry naturally.
- Generally, using something reusable like a makeup remover instead of throw away, disposable make up pad will help you reduce waste.
- The best thing about these make up pads is that they have a variety of usage. They’re not just facial cleansing cloth or for removing makeup with ease, but also bath wipes and burp towels!
- You can use one cotton round all over your face without smudging or leaving behind any residue.
- Buy a storage bag for used makeup pads at home or while you’re out and about.
- Note that each product is unique and some reusable cotton rounds may shrink in size after reusing it many times.
- Remember to follow the instructions from the manufacturer on the packaging of the item.
- Using reusable makeup remover pads save you money in the long run since you’ll have to stop replacing them after each use.
- Choose and select the size, color, and design of the makeup pad that meet your personality, style, and needs.
- Rinse your makeup pad after each use to ensure dirt and bacteria are washed away.
- Using a pad made from cotton also reduces the risk of skin irritation.